Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Broken Swings and Snacks

Wednesday, February 1st
     In Haiti I read a quote that said, "this is your mission trip, your home is your mission field". I like that. Most people never take a mission trip because they aren't even working in their mission field. I want to make sure that I am not waiting until I go back to Haiti to do what God would have me do. I know everyday wherever I am my job is to be a light for Jesus. It is easy to do that in my home, with my friends, in my church, in my fitness camp and even in my Arbonne business. Most all of those people are like me. We have the same interest, many of the same goals and same values. To really be a light and make a difference I have to break out of the normal and create a "new normal" for myself so that God will be glorified to people that may not get to experience the love of Christ on a daily basis or even ever.
      My friend, Mindy from CBC church (that is our new church plant in Coweta that our BA church started in October) read a book that I recommended to her, Kisses from Katie. It is about a young girl in her 20's that moved to Uganda, Africa and since then has adopted 13 African girls. She is making such a difference there with people that are in such need that she doesn't ever think she will return to America. The story is inspiring and incredible. Mindy sent out a message on Facebook saying that although she doesn't think she will ever move to Africa she knows that there are mission fields all around her. One that God has put on her mind is in Coweta. It is a particular apartment complex that she drives by everyday on her way to pick up her kids from school. Mindy is fairly shy and like most of us hates to get out her comfort zone. (although she is doing it more and more out of obedience to God). She said she sees so much hurting there as she drives by and wants to minister to the people there. But, she has no clue how to start.
      So today Mindy and I along with our kids went to those apartments with snacks in hand and began to "hang out". I got there first and my 3-year old ran to the only working swing. That is where he stayed for the entire time we were there. I even brought our dog Daisy as a way to draw people in.  It wasn't long before there were several kids and a few moms that joined us on the patch of grass they call a "play ground". Mindy and her kids arrived shortly after me with more snacks and a basketball. Bronson and her son Parker began to shoot around and a teenage boy came to join them. As the kids got off the bus in droves we waved and offered snacks to them. Most of the kids were hesitant to come over to us. One mom that we met told me that the apartments are not safe and that kids should not be left alone at all to play. She said that there was a major drug problem and that recently there was a shooting. She said the cops come out all the time for drug busts. We were able to begin to talk to her about God and church. She said she wasn't raised in church but that she has been wanting to go. Mindy offered to pick her up and take her and she said she would like to go. I know that God wants the people in that apartment complex on fire for HIM just as He desires each one of us to be on FIRE for HIM. Mindy went by to pick up our new 19 year old friend for church and her 2 kids but she didn't come out and didn't answer her phone. I wasn't surprised. Old habits die hard and I know that Satan doesn't want anyone to come to Christ. But, I know who wins the battle and we will be back out there this Friday and next Monday and next Friday and so on. There is a spiritual battle waged on those apartments, a battle for those parents and those kids. God wants them and so does Satan. But, God will WIN!!  Luke 10:2 says "the harvest is plentiful but the workers are few, ask the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest field".
     My kids were with me, it is not a safe place, it is uncomfortable. there is a spiritual battle that I can feel there. Should that stop me? My flesh says yes. My spirit says that is why we should go. As I look at the people of scripture they didn't NOT go because it wasn't safe. They went because they wanted to Lord to be glorified and that is why I went today and why I will go back. I am proud to stand beside my friend Mindy as she is obedient to go to a place that she knows people are hurting. After all if you knew someone that was sick and you had the medicine would you not give it them so they wouldn't die? We, as followers of Christ, have the medicine. I want my kids to know nothing else but dying to self and living for Christ. May I be that role model for them.. . daily, hourly, every moment. Only with the Lord's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment