Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tarnishing Jewelry

Since I have written my first post today my mind has been so much more clear. Getting things out of my head and onto paper has helped me. I want to thank the Lord for giving me the exact direction to do it this morning. I went to bed after midnight but woke up bright and early and knew exactly what to do, so I started writing. I am so thankful for who God has made me to be and the plans that He has for me. I was talking to my 2 basketball teams (my kids team) that I coach last night at practice about God's love for us. I reminded them about Jeremiah 29:11 that says "for I know the plans that I have for you says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil to give you a future and a hope". Even for those little 6-year-olds and 8-year-olds!!  It isn't a plan for when they get older (which I know he has that too) it is a plan for today and tomorrow, while they are the ages that they are now. God's word says, "do not let anyone look down on you because you are young but set an example for believer in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity" 2 Timothy 4:12. That means that God has a plan for me today too. Most of my life I feel like I have waited on that plan. I want to be intentional to do what I am called to do today as well as prepare for what He will have for me tomorrow. Today I choose to love, laugh and be my best.  I picked a picture of me smiling here over Christmas while visiting my mother-in-laws house. So many times even though I am smiling on the outside I am deeply burdened and sad about what I am NOT doing.  I am a deep thinker in my inmost being. Usually I keep so busy though that those thoughts are really only processed as I fall asleep at night. Today I have taken a lot of time to think, reflect and smile! God is good, all the time and Satan is such a liar that sometimes even the midst of happy times he sneaks in and makes me miserable.  As I walk out living this life I refuse to let the enemy steal my joy. I am confident that I am on the right track and that if I continue to listen to God and then obey He will be glorified. As Bub and discuss our future and our present I am reminded that the only way we will survive and thrive is to remember John 12:25, "a man who loves his life will lose it but the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life". Matthew 10:39 says it this way, "whoever finds his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it". This doesn't make sense in the world view today but it gives me great comfort as we embark on what God has called us to do. No excuses I am diving in, I am living deep. I invite you to join me. Some of you already have. Some of you, I am just following your example. God is stirring something so great inside of me. I am thankful that somehow I am hearing Him. So thankful that my Redeemer lives and He still speaks. 
Speaking of God still speaking and nudging since Haiti I have really felt a tug to sell some of my worldly possessions. SO many around the world and here in our city have nothing and I have so much. Jewelry that is tarnishing in my drawer, necklaces hanging in my bathroom on the tree. . . these are resources that I feel called to USE and not STORE up! So, Bub and I visited the jeweler in Norman last week after attending a funeral of a family friend. Life is too short to hold on to THINGS, when we need to be investing in people. So, now I have to figure out how to sell some things on ebay. Some examples, Tiffany's bracelets, necklaces, diamond earrings, David Yurman ring, and possibly my diamond wedding ring. I am not saying this is for everyone to do, but for me and my husband we feel a peace about ridding ourselves of these things to really prove that people are more important. We are starting a non profit to fund mission trips and to do work when we see a need. Our first donation will be our own. This is a joy for us and I have no sorrow in doing this. I am asking the Lord to show me what else I can do to be obedient. I know it's not wrong to own jewelry or other nice things but for me this is step of obedience and one I am excited to take on.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Miranda, I just started blogging on Tuesday! i am loving it. Missing boot camp and being apart of everything you have to offer. Maybe you can follow my blog too. brookejavon.blogspot.com. I'm still working on my site though- havent quite figured it all out yet.♥ ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Brooke. I will check it out!! Great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete