Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Who takes care of this little girl?

     It has been about 3 weeks since we have been home from our 2nd trip to Haiti. I feel myself slipping back into habits here in the US such as wanting to buy things I don't need, wanting to go out to eat because I don't feel like going to the store or being lazy about doing what I know that I need to be doing. People in Haiti don't have the luxury of not preparing dinner. If they are lucky enough to find something to cook they do the work to prepare it. I know that they eat it too. Even if it doesn't taste that great. That is my kids and my excuse too often. "I don't really like this so I am going to throw it away". I will eat something else later. We do that because we can and we have something else to eat. I know  that this is the wrong attitude.  It is so easy to forget to give thanks in all things because we have so much. Before I go any further I want to give thanks to you, Lord, you are are the giver of all good things. You are good. You are love. You are my provider and my sustainer. I sure thank you God for who you are and who you are making me to be by your Holy Spirit living in me. It's easy to talk about being more thankful but how often do I do it right then and there? I want to live in the moment and not take anything for granted.
     When we were in a village called Leveque talking with the people that lived there I asked everyone to go around and do a "popcorn" sort of thanksgiving prayer. I started with, God today I am thankful to be in Haiti with all of these beautiful people" (JR our translator repeated this in Creole). Then I waited for one of the 30 other kids to say something. Finally, someone said, "God I am thankful for being able to wake up today". Another said, "I am thankful that I had something to eat". Another said, "I am thankful that I woke up", another said, "I am thankful that I will be able to eat something today". This is how the rest of the popcorn prayer went. Just a few simple thank you's like waking up and having the chance to find something to eat. And they were truly thankful for that. WoW!! How often do I overlook waking up and eating!! God was already at work opening my eyes to the way He POURS out blessings on me and has always POURED out blessings on me. Why would He do this? Because He loves me. But He also wants me to use my blessings to bring glory to Him. To make a difference in this world.
     We were out at Leveque about 4 hours that morning and the entire time all of us were holding at least one kid, sometimes 2 (or 3 because they liked to ride on backs too). When we left we looked for  someone to hand a little girl to that my friend Christie had been holding all morning. I asked JR to ask people where this little girl belonged. He told me that the other kids said that her mom had left. I promptly said, "well who takes care of her?". She surely had someone because she was not even 2 years old. After inquiring again, JR told me, kids. Kids?Kids! Yes, kids. Broken hearted we hugged and kissed her and then sat her down on the rocks, got on our canter, and drove away. Did we cry? Yes. We were sad? Brokenhearted!! Did our emotion as we drove away do anything for that little girl? Nothing. She is still there (I pray she is still alive) but nothing has changed for her. As we visited with other missionaries that are in Haiti they said that this situation is very common. That kids all over Haiti (and the world) are being cared for by other kids. That is so sad but I also feel some sort of comfort knowing how God even enables children to do His work. I understand more and more the scriptures that talk about the heart of children. Matthew 18:4 says, "I tell you the truth, unless you humble yourself like this child you will never enter the kingdom of heaven". Kids are so humble, so pure in heart. I take some comfort in knowing that the heart of kids are so good and that at least that precious baby girl is being cared for by precious innocent hearts.
     I talked to my friend Christie today who still feels the tug on her heartstrings (or more accurately in her spirit) from leaving that little girl that day in Leveque. She said a few days after returning from Haiti her husband, Markwayne, came into their bedroom in the morning, flipped on the lights, and told her that he couldn't stop thinking about that little girl in Haiti. He told her to call the MOH and see what could be done to get her into a place of care and that they would take care of the finances to make sure she stayed there until she was grown. One child at a time. One act of obedience. One life changed forever.


Here she is. . . with Bronson holding her. That is our translator JR in the background and Sarah on the left.

1 comment:

  1. Miranda,
    Beth Petrashek "introduced me" to you. I'm so glad she did. Your theme in this post resonates with what God has been teaching me in a book 1000 Gifts- A Dare to Live Life Fully Right Where You Are. Thank you so much.
    God knew I needed that encouragement, in the midst of a twisted place in my life. Where perfect supply and comfort meets anxiety, loneliness and indecision. God is faithful and good and the giver of all perfect gifts. God bless you!
    www.predatory-lies.com

    ReplyDelete